RARE Cork Ireland International Exhibition c. 1903 Glass Pitcher Gold Gilt Design
1903 Antique Glass Souvenir Pitcher with an Engraved Gold Gilt Design Reading "Greater Cork International Exhibition 1903" on One Side, with Applied Handle, and a Gold Gilt Trim on Rim Edge All Around. Bottom is polished out, gilt trim on edge is quite worn. First line in "Greater Cork" has wear, it looks like it was scratched, rest is fine. Glass is gorgeous, clean and bright, no stains, solid. No chips, no flakes, clean. Here is some info I pulled from the internet on this exhibition; The Cork International Exhibition In 1901 the then Lord Mayor of Cork, Edward Fitzgerald, proposed that Cork should stage an international industrial exhibition in 1902. The proposal was enthusiastically received by all sections of Cork society and planning for the exhibition soon began. The site chosen was an area of parkland between the Cork County Cricket Grounds and Wellington Bridge, now renamed Thomas Davis Bridge. The plans for the exhibition were extraordinarily imaginative and ambitious. It promised to be by far the most spectacular exhibition ever hosted in Cork. The grounds were laid out meticulously with pavilions, kiosks, ornamental walks, tea houses, an enormous water chute and a switchback railway featuring among the attractions.
Exhibition halls were built and a house on the grounds named'The Shrubberies' was renamed the Mansion House for the duration of the exhibition. The exhibition attracted exhibitors from across the globe, displaying their industrial, agricultural and artistic wares. It opened on 1 May 1902 amid scenes of celebration and enthusiasm. Its success surpassed all expectations, attracting visitors from all over Ireland, Europe and beyond.
After it officially closed on 1 November 1902, it was decided to stage a similar exhibition in 1903. The 1903 exhibition repeated the success of its predecessor and was graced by a visit from Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
The Cork International Exhibition of 1902 - 1903 finally closed on 31 October 1903. Edward Fitzgerald was created a baronet by Edward VII. The grounds were donated to Cork Corporation as a recreational park for the citizens of Cork.
The park was named, appropriately Fitzgerald's Park. The Mansion House now houses part of Cork Public Museum. " Glass pitcher stands 6 1/2" tall by 4" across, by 2" across at the base. If you have questions ASK, ASK, ASK!
This item is in the category "Collectibles\Historical Memorabilia\Fairs, Parks & Architecture\Fairs & Expositions\World’s Fairs\Other World Fair Collectibles". The seller is "memonmain" and is located in this country: US. This item can be shipped worldwide.
- Original or Reproduction: Original
- Country/Region of Manufacture: Ireland